註冊
查看: 12296|回復: 19
打印 上一主題 下一主題

Seeking advice on driver tube for SE 300B

[複製鏈接]
跳轉到指定樓層
1#
oldbeandad 發表於 2007-7-6 09:35:02 | 顯示全部樓層 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
I am going to build a SE 300B on completion of my current project on a SE 211.  However, it is too hard for me to decide on which tube should be chosen to be the driver,  ECC32 or EL37?  For input stage, I would go with ECC32.  Any advice is appricated!
2#
 樓主| oldbeandad 發表於 2007-7-12 08:58:45 | 顯示全部樓層
It is so nice to see a response!  Thanks Accphoto!
You are right that EL 37 may not be friendly to 300B.  This is what I worry about and that is why I could not reach a decision yet.  As I search over internet and my old magazines, I found that some SE 300B schematics are having EL34/6L6 to be the driver tube. The Audiophile 125 edition (August 1996) and the 136 edition (July 1997) are examples.  Having an idea that EL37 sounds better than EL34 and 6L6 do, I consider to have it for the driver work.  But at the same time, I think it is too wasteful and I should let it do the work of power tube.  Anyway, I hope to see more comments and advice.
3#
 樓主| oldbeandad 發表於 2007-8-23 10:01:36 | 顯示全部樓層
Well, there has been only one response so far.  Anyway, I have decided to go with ECC32 + 300B and this project is ready to go now because I just finished my se 211.  Attached are the pictures of my new born se211 and the main parts of 300B.

本帖子中包含更多資源

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有帳號?註冊

x
4#
 樓主| oldbeandad 發表於 2007-8-26 11:05:11 | 顯示全部樓層
Wow!  Can you send me a copy of your schematic  for reference?  Among those available from web-sites, I like the one designed by Joseph Esmilla most.  You may go to www.heggeseth.com to have a look.  I think this one is very close to yours.

Oh yes, I am not residing in Hong Kong.  I wonder if you are in Canada too.
5#
 樓主| oldbeandad 發表於 2007-8-27 01:35:25 | 顯示全部樓層
Steve, you don't need to wait for others' advice before buying parts/components.  When you come across good deals or good price offered, don't let them slip away.  No matter which schematic you  take,  you will need the transformers , caps and etc.  Well, I won't follow any schematic with exact component and value.  On completion of the building, we need to fine tune and adjust in accordance with the wave showed on oscillatescope.  If I strictly follow the schematic, I will never be able to taste the enjoyment from DIY.  I always hold the principle that for signal path, less component is the best.  But this does not apply to power supply unit because what we need in this unit is to supply pure and stable dc for the tubes in order to get the electrons jumped  smoothly and steadily to the plate inside the tube. So, Mr. Modi is absolutely right that isolated transformer is extremely important in audio hi-fi system.  Among the three schematics, I would try the top one first but cut off the 100K Tapper.  For power supply unit, I would perfer to having the one, which is not shown, with the third.  In fact, the third is the one that I mentioned, designed by Joseph Esmilla.  Direct coupling  is my cup of tea.  Anyway, all schematics are more or less the same.  Hope you enyoy your project.
6#
 樓主| oldbeandad 發表於 2007-9-1 21:06:14 | 顯示全部樓層
Hello accphoto,  I have a schematic in below which is almost identical to yours except the value of B+ and  Cathode Resistor.  You may notice that the B+ supplied to the Plate of 300B is very close to what you have raised to (about 420 vdc) but the Cathode Resistor is having a value of 880 ohm.  According to the Data Sheet of TJ Fullmusic 300B and WE 300B, the Grid Voltage is -58v.  So, if you are having a plate current at 70mA, the Cathode Resistor would be 58v/70mA = 828.57 ohm, or round up to 830 - 840 ohm.  For JJ 300B and EH 300B, the Grid Voltage is -61v,  880 ohm (61v/70mA=871.4 ohm) appears to be the appropriate value for the Cathode Resistor should you like to have a plate current at 70 mA.  Anyhow, experience tells that such figures need to be adjusted in doing fine tune.  Would you mind to let me know the Grid Bias and Plate Current as well as which brand of 300B are with your amp. for reference?  Thanks.

本帖子中包含更多資源

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有帳號?註冊

x
7#
 樓主| oldbeandad 發表於 2007-10-4 09:24:25 | 顯示全部樓層
Hi Accphoto
Thanks a lot for your information!  Oh yes, don't feel that you have an obligation to response to my message or answer any question.  As a matter of fact, we have a same hobby and it is our pleasure to share our experience.  We have our own job and may not have enough time to do what we want to do on time.  Me, I will be away for a while because I am going to leave for Europe day after tomorrow.  Yes, congratulations to you on your new born SE300B.  Wow, you know how much I admire you for being able to afford, both money and time, in building such a wonderful SE 300B?  Will you consider to grab a pair of WE 300B for it?  Hmmm, I still suspect that the plate current would exceed 70mA with -83v bias and a 100 Ohm cathode resistor.
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊

本版積分規則

GMT+8, 2024-5-17 02:39 , Processed in 0.037516 second(s), 25 queries , Gzip On.

© 2001-2011 Powered by Discuz! X3.2. Theme By Yeei!

快速回復 返回頂部 返回列表