註冊
查看: 10597|回復: 23
打印 上一主題 下一主題

Bringing up Kids in Hong Kong

[複製鏈接]
1#
SSWONG 發表於 2008-5-22 12:08:30 | 顯示全部樓層
Dear CAT ,

Generrally i agree with you. Sorry, wrongly written, their EQ generally lower as they seldom communicate dirrectly with other, most communication on email/phone...

Obviously the youngster had much lower AQ (adversity), but what's the root cause of this?
During our time, if we fall down, parent won't care so much then we just get up n walk agian, they won't restrict too much on our activity such as go fishing, play with mud n so on....

I think the problem is not only in HK, it happen in the whole world and obviously in chinese community... thus we have the term such as strawberry generation & x-generation.

nowaday's parrent sometime over care, so the kids can't do that, can't do this, this is dirty, that is dangerous, so the kids become like the flower in the greenroom....or bird in the cage... of course their abilty to face adversity is lower...=fragile...

when kids try to invent/repair some electronic part (normal will even spoil further as they still not good in it or in a mess) then the parrent may just scold n stop them or just buy a new 1... in such condition how the kids has change to develope the ability to face & fix the problem?

besides, the environment is such a way that most parrent like to compare their kids with others, thus even a small mistake/failure of the kids may make the parent feel unhappy, thus the kids become very scare to fail, and they become pasive and not dare to take challenge on thing they are not familiar as they worry will fail....

In malaysia, more and more chinese parrent pass their responsibily as parrent to the maid (mostly indonesia) & school. They seldom really have time to guide the kids by themself, when kids not doing well they will scold the kids....or blame the teacher...

I found a lot of parrent try to pass/transfer their dream to the kids, so this poor kids is moving toward thir parrent's dream and not their own dream... so the inner drive force is not there, how to be persistent and consistent?

CAT,

I'm also a weird guy, when the kids play with fire a lot parrent will stop them... but i won't i will play with them and let them feel the heat/ burning of the fire so they will can feel the paint n know the dangerous on this...and guide them on the precaution during playing fire...

when kids climb up n down, i will teach them how to climb correctly and how to avoid accident / reduce the falling impact and not just stop them from doing that.

I believe if kid want to do it they will do it, if u allow them do it infront of u, they will do so. If u try to stop them, they will do behind... (even dangerous as u don't even know what they r doing).

Besides, the movie also give a lot of influence....

A lot HK movie, when the actor face a lot problem/failure/set back their next action normally is smoke, drink alcohol (pasive action).....then untill other scold him/her and afetr some down time only wake up....and restart new life.

whereas if refer to most japanese movie... their next action after failure /defeat is to work harder, look for solution (active action)....((their down time with drinking & smoking normally not in the picture)
2#
SSWONG 發表於 2008-5-23 17:36:39 | 顯示全部樓層
CAT,
12 ask u, if you caught the student cheating during at the exam, and he admit, what will you do? what will u tell him?

If i'm the teacher, i will tell him " good, u have courage to admit, Washinton had done mistaken and have courage to admit" tehn ask the class to give a big hand to him on his courage to admit but tell him "wrong is still wrong, so still need to take action on him".....

while taliking to his parent, must tell them his son is very brave to admit thing he do wrong.... u know most parent want the "face" espeacially chinese parent : )

If compare malaysia with HK:

1) I think the quality of HK teacher should be better--> in malaysia most of our teacher is those who can't find job outside / can't enter university then only join as teacher. or we call "force" by the environment to be a teacher... half of them is not really volunteer... but i won't blame them as teaching our children is our own main responsibility.

2)i believe the education system in HK also should be better than malaysia--> since both HK & Malaysia in under UK, thus we are more on UK style. But HK government is much more effective thus the updates and changes in UK on the education should be faster.... the only different is that in malaysia, chinese student need to go through a tough time...as the education system is not fair here...we shall say it is lucky as tough situation always produce a better student : )
3#
SSWONG 發表於 2008-6-2 11:37:04 | 顯示全部樓層
I agree with alant's word "做大事的人,會斷六親!
In order not to 斷六親, i better do medium thing enough.. ha..ha...
From the history, we know a lot great people is doing great thing but their live normally end up unhappily as they are alone...not body is sharing their glory....

Dear Cat,

Frankly speaking, it become harder and harder being a teacher especially in secondary & primary school.....it would be easier to be the lecturer in university (lack of social responsible)....
I will to teach people but i don't like to be a formal teacher... like alant, i prefer teach as for interest.....

I agree with you that some of our education system is better than the western, their education system is emphasis on produce high IQ, genius and cerative student but not emphasis on the EQ, tolerance & interaction with people.

That's 1 of the reason i emphasis my kids my be sent to chinese school during their primary school time.
4#
SSWONG 發表於 2008-6-2 17:45:11 | 顯示全部樓層
Dear Alant,

I agree with you that politic shouldn't involve the kids but we have to understand that when there is human there will be politics. Kids is also part of human so very hard for them to be excluded from politics.
Frankly speaking kids is the weakness of most people when use as tools.

Society today become more and more complicated, the portion of black & white become smaller and smaller and the gray area is keep expanding...

Hk is really a competitive place....i think the term survival for the fittest is suitable to describe the competition in HK....

Anyway i sometimes admire the HK people as they can critic /scold the politician openly, this is 1 of the effective way to release pressure & tension .... whereas in Malaysia we can be easily put in the jail without any reason when voice out to critic top politician.
5#
SSWONG 發表於 2008-6-4 17:02:39 | 顯示全部樓層
Dear Cat,

Your comment to your superior is really good and straight to the point! Should interview the parent.
For me most kids still have space of change & improvement so can be educated but parrent's mind is almost fix hardly change. By interview the parent you will roughly know the way they take care of their kids.
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊

本版積分規則

GMT+8, 2024-5-14 17:30 , Processed in 0.045616 second(s), 19 queries , Gzip On.

© 2001-2011 Powered by Discuz! X3.2. Theme By Yeei!

快速回復 返回頂部 返回列表